Friday, June 13, 2008

The Art of Saying A Lot While Saying Nothing At All

A couple of weeks back, someone pointed me in the direction of a 2 part article at TenTonHammer, they interviewed Jason Roberts, and Steve Danuser, from 38 Studios. In case you are not familiar with 38 Studios (I found it amazing that some people I play games with never heard of 38 until I told them), it was founded by Curt Schilling (pitcher-Boston Red Sox and avid gamer), R. A Salvatore (fantasy author) and Todd McFarlane (comic book creator).

Up until recently, the design team has not said very much about what they are doing. The most we really know is it will be a fantasy game. They are keeping information closely guarded until they are ready to release it. I think it is a good thing. Creating something like this takes several years and I personally, do not want to be tired of it before I can even play it. I know others that are just dying to get the least little clue as to what the game is going to be about! They won't find that clue in this article. Never the less the interview is a good read. For people that do not have any idea what it takes to get something like this off the ground, Jason and Steve give little tidbits of the design process. They also discuss PVP, PVE and questing.

I know some of the people that work at 38. I know their philosophies on games. I have faith that the game that eventually comes out is going to be a good one.

No comments: